I've been missing out on really exciting things lately because of interviews and back pain...but tonight I got to attend both a board meeting for the southern maine workers center and a membership meeting for the labor council. I felt pretty official. And I learned a whole lot about health care options, heard updates about union stuff going down in Portland, listened to some terrible stories of injustices involving workers in the community here, and was encouraged by the many testimonies and triumphs of this community. It is one fully invested in serving one another as a labor family. These people largely seem to use the labor movement as their religion and though I can see how broken and incomplete such a trade off is, it certainly is a model of honest and invested community that, as a christian claiming to be invested in the whole body, I certainly have much to learn from.
If anyone would like to offer me their informed opinion on health care, I'd love to hear it. My own opinion needs much informing. But maybe not tonight, I'm exhausted. Sounds like great 4th of july conversation though...
No comments:
Post a Comment